Frequently Asked Questions
Can I sight in my rifle for hunting?
We offer several dates, open to the public, for Hunter Qualification and sight-in. Even though Stoney Creek is a private club and the ranges are for members only and their guests, Hunter Qualification and several other events are open to the general public. The next available dates for Hunter Qualification will be August 1st and 2nd, and September 6th and 13th. See our Hunter Qualification for additional details.
· The Maryland DNR website lists available Maryland shooting ranges, many that don't require membership and welcome "walk ins".
I'm interested in joining the club, but I don't know a member for sponsorship. How can I proceed?
If you are interested in joining the club, the best way to meet a potential sponsor is to come to the twice a month general meetings (Second and Last Friday's of the month), which are opened to the public -- the meetings starts at 8pm -- most members start getting there at 6:30pm to have dinner (we have a kitchen) and converse. Also, each Tuesday evening, from 5pm - 9pm, the club is open to the public for trap shooting, which is a great opportunity to meet other enthusiasts and potential member sponsors. Lastly, if you check the events calendar on our website events (both calendar format and download PDF), there are other events opened to the public, such as our spring and fall flea market/raffle, etc. Check our membership link
Join SCFH for more information.
What type of ranges does the club have?
The club facilities include clay trap ranges (2 ranges @ 16 yards for 5 shooters with 25 yard handicap capability), covered outdoor ranges (7, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 300 yards), and an archery range. Firearms include all calibers and propellant types up to 50 caliber (but stopping at BMG or larger). The ranges are opened from Sunrise or 8am (Mon-Sat), and 9am Sunday until Sunset. Our indoor air gun range is opened on "air gun practice" days to accommodate winter early dusk and shooters that wish to keep their skills sharpened.
When are Hunter Safety Classes offered and how do I sign up?
· For information about SCFHClub Hunter Safety classes, see our link at Hunter Safety.
· Two (2) Traditional Hunting Courses ("Hunter Safety") will be held: (1) [06/15, 06/18, 06/20], (2) [08/10, 08/13, 08/15].
· Three (3) Internet Field Day Workshops ("Internet Hunter Safety") will be held: (1) [08/22], (2) [09/12], (3) [10/04].
Hunter Safety class schedules and registration information can be found at: Maryland DNR Class Listings
· For questions concerning SCFHC Hunter Safety Program, email SCFHClub.HunterSafety@gmail.com or use our web email contact form
· Check our events link and use the calendar or download the events
summary to locate classes offered at SCFHClub -- the classes are under the title "Hunter Safety" for the traditional class (and listed with DNR as a Hunting Course under Classroom Courses), and "Internet H. Safety" for Internet Hunter Safety (and listed with DNR as Hunter Education Internet Field Day Workshops under Internet Courses -- must be age 13 or older).